gluten-free raspberry almond mini-muffins
I bought my wedding dress off eBay for $225.
Yup. You read that right. I found a raw silk mermaid dress by this designer you may have heard of – Vera Wang – that was to-die-for; unfortunately it was also the pricetag of a modest new car. Frustrated and baffled that a dress could cost so much, I went online to see what other (and less expensive) options I had.
And what do you know…I found a Taiwanese dress shop willing to custom-make me a knockoff of the dress I had fallen madly in love with (nearly as much as my soon-to-be husband for $225, plus shipping.
I tell you all this because it sort of sums up my ongoing hunt for fabulous and elegant food on a budget, and this little recipe is no exception. We’re talking almonds. Raspberries. Browned butter. And not a hint of gluten anywhere to be found.
Yes, that would be the browned butter. When you cook it down it turns caramel color and smells fragrant and heavenly. I scrape those browned bits right into the batter. Rad.
Raspberries were on sale last week $1.50/pint! So I went for it. In a different season I’ll try blackberries, blueberries, or even fresh peaches in the summer.
And here they are, fresh out of the oven and dusted with powdered sugar.
So go ahead – enjoy them for breakfast, brunch, a snack or dessert. They’re fantastic anytime, except right after you brush your teeth…that would be gross.
And stay tuned for more elegant, delicious, and (generally) nutritious recipes that your wallet and waistline will thank you for!
These gluten-free mini muffins are irresistible! With browned butter, almonds and raspberries, you'll never miss the gluten!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup almond meal or flour
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until it turns light brown and smells nutty. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the the pan until butter is dark brown, about 6 minutes. Pour melted butter with its brown bits into a medium bowl, then let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, process almonds, almond meal and powdered sugar in a food processor until nuts are finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add egg whites and mix until smooth. Fold in honey.
- Fold browned butter into batter.
- Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick spray. Pour 1 tablespoon batter into each cup, then top with 2 raspberries.
- Bake until muffins are golden brown, about 13-15 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
128 calories 9 grams fat 12 grams carbohydrates 2 grams protein 1 gram fiber
A Frugal Foodie Family Original. And new Favorite.
Estimated cost: $4.82 using my shopping guide where I outline what I pay for the items I purchase the most, and where I find the best prices.