watermelon feta salad.
Hey there, watermelon.
What was that you say? You’re tired of being served all by your lonesome at picnics and bbqs? Well don’t fret; I’ve got big plans for you….watermelon, meet feta.
God bless whoever came up with the idea of fruit and cheese. There’s something about the sweet and salty flavor combo that is just heavenly. It doesn’t seem to matter how – we could be talking about roasting apricots and stuffing them with goat cheese, pairing apple with cheddar for a simple frittata or combining cherries and goat cheese into a lovely kale salad – it’s a match made in epicurean heaven.
I’m going out on a limb here but this could in fact be the best summer salad I’ve ever made. No joke.
Have I convinced you? Give it a try and let me know what you think!
A spectacularly delicious summer salad - perfect for bbq's and picnics...and great the next day too!
- 8 cups watermelon, cubed
- 8 ounces feta, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces arugula
- 2 limes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cube watermelon and let the cubes marinate in the juice of one lime for several hours.
- Combine fresh-squeezed lime juice and zest from the remaining lime, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- At serving time, toss arugula with half the vinaigrette, and combine watermelon, feta, red onion and mint. Layer watermelon mixture over the arugula, and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
205 calories per serving, 14 grams of fat, 15 carbs, 6 grams protein, 1 gram of fiber
Inspired by the recipe included in Shauna Niequist’s Bread and Wine.
TOTAL: $8.25, or about $1.03 per serving based on this spreadsheet where I’ve included what I typically pay per item and where I shop.